twitter




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My tooth was not sensitive before the filling, now it is. Is this normal?

I asked this question a bit differently a couple of days ago. I want to clarify. I had a filling put in on Monday. Before the filling was put in, I had no sensitivity at all on the tooth. Not to sweets, not to temperature, nothing. It was only filled because on clinical exam and x-ray it showed a cavity. There was no pain involved. Is it a molar or wisdom tooth (I'm not sure of the difference). I really don't want to have it removed.Now it is very sensitive to cold only -- not heat and not sweets or any other type of pain. But it's EXTREMELY sensitive to cold drinks, almost unbearably so.If I use a de-sensitizing toothpaste, isn't that temporary? Is this normal for the tooth to be this sensitive? The filling was three days ago. Did the dentist do something wrong?Thanks!
Answer:
1) what kind of filling material? The old fashioned silver fillings are much more susceptible to cold sensitivity than the modern composite fillings.
2) IF your dentist used silver, hopefully he used a thermal base under the filling to limit sensitivity.
3) IF he used composite, he may have not gotten it sealed correctly. They are very technique specific and, hey, we all make mistakes sometimes.
4) IF he did everything right, it is still possible to have a tooth that is sensitive to cold. I, for instance, have two teeth that were filled with silver in the 1960s and refilled with composite in the 1990s. My dentist is very capable, and yet I know to keep cold off of those two teeth.
5) Realize that DDS stands for Doctor of Dental Surgery NOT because we sometimes remove teeth, but because teeth are living tissue just like your skin, heart, etc. So, anytime you have a cavity drilled out and a filling put in.you have had surgery on that tooth. Some teeth respond to surgery better than others.
I had the same problem with one of mine, never had any problems before with sensitivity. The dentist said it's because the cavity was kind of deep so now that there's a filling in there, the filling helps transmit the temp changes which go directly to the nerve. YIKES!
I've had a tooth that was sensitive at first, but over time got better, but I still have one that sends me through the roof if I get something hot or cold on it.
I had the same problem with my tooth, it depends really on what kind of filling you get but its usually that the filling touchs a nerve ending and when you drink or eat food the nerve gets a little shock from it. It will eventually go away, sometimes a few weeks but I had one where it lasted about a year. Good luck to ya, try drinking and eating with the side thats not sensitive, its wierd at first but you'll get use to it after awhile.
Sometimes this is normal. It also depends on how big the filling is. So it can be a number of things. From Just sensitive to becoming infected. If its a small filling I'm sure its just sensitive and will go away with use of de-sanitizing toothpaste. But i would call the dentist to be safe.
it is very normal.. tooth is a alive tissue and any work on it is a shock. Tooth needs some time to heal. Cold sensitivity is not just normal it is good.. means that tooth is alive and healthy.
It should subside after couple of weeks. Just don't shock it with extra cold things like ice or ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. My 17-year-old daughter had a similar issue. I took her to the dentist for a routine exam and dentist told her she had three cavities. He filled them with white filling and she immediately started having terrible pain in her jaw bone. Took her back to the dentist he thought it was tall so he drilled it. The pain went away only when he took pain pills every four hours. Went back they said they didnt know why she was in pain. Took her to another dentist he said to use sensitive toothpaste and she has been on it for a year and if she ever use a different toothpaste she is right back in pain for a few days. I am sooo frustrated because it has been a year and we are still going thru the same thing! Is this normal?

    ReplyDelete

 
vc .net