twitter




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My teenage daughter is allergic to novacaine (sp). What other numbing meds can my daughter be given at dent.?

My daughter has a dentist appt. next week. We just found out that she is allergic to novacaine. She will need some work done fairly soon and was wondering what other alternative the dentist has to numb the area up?
Answer:
Your dentist should know what can and cannot be used in a patient with a novicaine allergy, so your best info will come from that person. But, here is what I found.http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/allergy...%26quot;People often use the term %26quot;novacaine%26quot;, %26quot;novocain%26quot;, %26quot;novacaine%26quot; or a variation thereof when talking about local anesthetics... even though novocaine has not been used in dentistry for decades (both because it wears off too quickly and because allergies to novocain and other ester-based -caines are relatively common). All the -caines used for local anaesthesia these days are amides rather than esters. Virtually nobody is allergic to amide caines.%26quot;AND:http://www.doctorspiller.com/local_anest...Go to the section that says %26quot;For patients who are allergic to local anesthetic%26quot;. You will find some good info there.it is just too long to cut and paste!
There are a few new ones that are out - I just had one of them used last week (I'm sorry, I forgot the name) - they are much better than the -aines.Call her dentist now though in case he has to order them.
Good Luck
I'm allergic to novocaine as well. When I go, they give me lidocaine. It works fine for me, but remember, some people who are allergic to novocaine are allergic to ALL the %26quot;caine%26quot; drugs, so even lidocaine will cause a reaction.
The dentist knows what to use, just inform him. I don't think there is a dentist in the world that doesn't have options such as laughing gas. Don't worry about it.
If she had an allergy test SPECIFICALLY for %26quot;Novocaine%26quot; and was found to be allergic, just tell your dentist. NOBODY uses Novocaine in a dental office inthe US any more.The rest of my answer depends on how she found out that she was allergic to Novocaine.
Well, it is hard to know exactly which drug she as adverse reactions. There are a variety of local anesthetics used for Dentistry, and %26quot;novacaine%26quot; is really just a generalization of all of them. Septocaine, Privocaine, Marpocaine could maybe be an alternative.
However, if she is allergic to all of these %26quot;-caine%26quot; then a dentist may try relying solely on Nitrous Oxide %26quot;laughing gas%26quot;, oral sedation, or general anesthesia at the complete final choice. There are many different strategies than just numbing. Ask the dentist. If he or she does not suggest any of my ideas, then go elsewhere for treatment.
I have been in a dentists chair since around the age of five.
I was in my early 20's when I discovered I couldn't handle
the effects of Novacaine any longer. I was in the middle of
some dental work at that time, and I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone, without numbing first. But the dentist couldn't just stop what he was doing, he said.
I've had alot of poor dentists over my 62 years. And life has taught me alot. Now many dentists and experiences later, I can recommend to you one specific numbing agent I have had 100% good results from. It is Lidocaine. It does have Epinephren, whichmany people do have trouble with. But it's apparently a small enough amount that it has never affected me. But now due to a heart disease, they don't want to use anything with Epinephren. And so they use Carbocaine without Epinephren. But it doesn't numb to the core as well, from my experience.
Pravacaine was another agent I have had, without any
after affects.
I did have some chest pains once from a product
called, Medivacaine 2%.w/Levonordefrin, so I don't recommend it.
I hope these referrals will be of some help.
Currently, Lidocaine (also called Xylocaine) is used because some patients had allergic reactions to Novocaine. Lidocaine, which is also a local anesthetic, works in essentially the same way as Novocaine, without causing allergic reactions and other side effects.
Hope this helps.
There is also lidocain, tetracain, benzocain, or in rare cases cocain. However lidocain does have the risk of causing heart failures if not administered properly. However prilocain seems like a good bet as well. However if cocain has to be administered you must let your dentist know way ahead of time. It is a lengthy process to get cocain for medical use.
THE ACTUAL CHEMICAL OF NOVOCAINE, PROCAINE, IS NO LONGER USED IN DENTISTRY. LIDOCAINE IS USED MOST COMMONLY. YOUR DAUGHTER PROBABLY HAD AN ADVERSE REACTION TO THE EPINEPHRINE WHICH MAY HAVE BEEN INJECTED INTO A VEIN.
YOU CAN SPECIFY TO THE DENTIST THAT SHE HAS NEGATIVE EFFECTS TO EPINEPHRINE.
THERE ARE SEVERAL ANESTHETICS W/O EPINEPHRINE FOR USE IN DENTISTRY.
Lidocaine for a topical and laughing gas for any major dental work where novicane usually is used. Ask your dentist is he/she gives other options to novicane. If it is that serious of an issue find another board certified dentist that will give you an option to novicane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net