twitter




Sunday, October 25, 2009

Medicade and crowns?

i have medicade and just had a root canel done my dentist is billing medicade again because i need to get a crown.. do you have medicade or know if medicade will pay for a crown.
Answer:
It depends on your age and what state you are in. NY, for example, covers crowns on all teeth for adults. IL, however, only covers crowns on the front 4 - 6 teeth on the top and bottom. (I can't remember off the top of my head.) The best thing for the dentist to do is submit an authorization request.
I am never had to deal with medicade, but the crown is in most cases apart of the root canal procedure. so they should pay for it.
Medicaid coverage varies from state to state, and what is covered will vary. Some states cover almost nothing while some are more generous.I can tell you that Medicaid in Ohio, New Hampshire and Maine (the states I've practiced in) will NOT cover a crown.I'm actually pretty impressed that wherever you live covers even the root canal! In NH, medicaid (for adults anyway) covers only emergency exams and extractions!I'm guessing that if you've already scheduled the appointment for the crown and if your dentist hasn't asked you to PAY for it up front, then your medicaid must cover it, cuz the doc wouldn't want to do the procedure without knowing how he'd get paid. He probably knows that if you have medicaid coverage, you don't have a ton of money to pay for a crown ($800-1200 in most places) out of pocket. That's not a slam; it's just economics - I don't have very many medicaid patients who can afford a crown, so sometimes I'll do it half off if I feel it's a good idea.Anyway, if you're not sure, and you dont' want to get stuck with a bill you can't pay, just ask the dental office receptionist or billing coordinator what's covered and what you'll be responsible for, if anything. good luck!
I'm going through this right now. I live in NY and have HealthPlus which is a division of Medicaid. I am treated EXACTLY as if I have 'regular' Medicaid when it comes to dental work. It took forever to get a straight answer out of someone about what is covered and what is not.In my situation in NYC, all 'preventative' dental care is covered 100%; exams, x-rays, cleanings and fillings. So far they have even covered my extractions. When it comes to root canals and crowns (I need about 8 and I only have 9 teeth left on top) I was told that only the FRONT ('anterior') teeth are covered. Even then, it has to be 'approved' before they will cover it. That would be the six upper and six lower front teeth.Basically, all the dentist has to do is fill out some forms, stamp them and send them to the Medicaid people. That's all there is to the 'approval' system. My front tooth root canals and crowns will/should be covered 100%. I was told that the back and side teeth that need the root canals will have to be paid 'out of pocket' which will be at least $900 each for me (I go to NYU College of Dentistry for work since it's cheaper)I have a slightly bad situation where the Medicaid woman on the phone told me that if the Medicaid 'officials' think that the amount of root canals I need are 'excessive' that they may REFUSE to cover them because DENTURES are cheaper. They will cover dentures or partials 100% but bridgework is NOT covered for me (I need about 4 separate bridges). My dentist told me that I may be able to get out of having to get dentures because of my age (29) and that may be seen as 'too young' for a full set of upper dentures. Strangely, all my lower teeth are fine.As far as I know, it depends on where you live and what form of Medicaid coverage you have. All I can tell you is exactly what Medicaid does for me in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net