twitter




Saturday, October 31, 2009

My daughter is having her tooth extracted tommorow?

shes going to be sedated, im really worried as i have to be with her when they sedate her, has anyone been through this before?
Answer:
Have been through this many times with my son. You will be with her as she goes into her %26quot;magic sleep%26quot; - if at Southampton General she will have spent the pre-op period in a wonderful playroom, which is also the recovery room, and will go down to the theatre on a gaucho jeep, if it is working. (you could ring the dayward to find out). While waiting the nurses will have put 'magic cream' on the backs of both her hands (to make sure at least one will work ie not be pulled off) which enables them to put in the canula later on with no feeling. The staff are brilliant and as you talk to her she will just nod off as they put the sedation in via the canula in the back of her hand.
You then have waiting time (they will tell you how long)until you are called to Recovery near the theatre to be with her as she fully wakes up. Go and have a cup of coffee in the canteen, chat to a friend or for a walk about outside as this is the worst bit. You will be called into Recovery where your daughter will be at that nice drowsy state of just waking children have and will then be transferred to the dayward. You both will then stay back on the dayward until the staff are sure she is properly awake and drinking. Then home. If you are calm then she will be too.
Are you asking us if YOUR daughter is having her tooth extracted?
Yes, relax, it's easy. I have been sedated and watched someone.
There are so many different ways to sedate so difficult to tell you what exactly will happen but her eyes will close and she will be away in about 5 secs,
Relax, it's nothingDon't listen to what Sunshine says it is not at all scary.
My daughter has been sedated a few times (put to sleep) due to surgical operations - what ever the reason - its quite scary. The staff should help you feel at ease - they will be trained too. She will seem a bit sleepy for a couple of hours afterwards - and more than likely need to rest. Mum's comforting cuddles and love should do the trick. Keep calm for her sake as she will be nervous too. %26lt;33
4 years old is pretty young for dental surgery! I had 4 molars extracted when I was about 10 and it was so easy. My mom did stand there and she held my hand at first because SHE was the one that was nervous!! All I remember was them putting a mask over my mouth and nose and telling me to breathe and count backwards from 10. I think I got to 8. If they needed to inject me with anything, they did that AFTER I had the gas so I never felt a thing. (I've had that numbing cream they use to insert IVs before and it did freak me out since I watched them do it. I was 16 at the time and it was for sinus surgery. I cried.)
Next thing I remember was being woken up and feeling like I was sleep walking. My mom and a dental assistant helped me into a dark 'recovery room' with a little bed thing. I stayed in there with my mom until I fully woke up. I was totally fine, it was my mom that was all concerned. Blood was pouring out of my mouth afterward (4 adult teeth pulled at once is a lot!) and all I could do was laugh. My mom kept telling me to stop it because it wasn't funny. As long as you don't make a big deal about it, your daughter will be fine. Laugh about how funny it is or something. Don't be too serious or else she might catch your vibe and get a little scared. Good luck.
I'm sorry you have to go through this, but don't worry, the techniques are very well practised and the regulations governing the safety of the procedure are very strict.Maybe you could ask if there is anything you could do in future to prevent the need for this happening again - the dental team will be able to give you loads of good advice. The onus is on you nad not your daughter, at this age, to preveny similar needs in the future.She'll be fine, really, but its natural to worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net