twitter




Sunday, October 25, 2009

My 4 year old was diagnosed with a crossbite?

My son went to the dentist a while back and I was told that he has a crossbite(underbite). Anyone out there with any experience with this? He's got an appt with an orthodontist in June. What can we expect? I'm sure he'll have to have the palate expander as well as braces as he gets older. How bad does the palate expander hurt? Does it work? When will he get it(what age)? I guess I'm just looking for some re-assurance that he'll come out of this OK. Thanks for your time.
Answer:
Yes i agree with the other Doc in terms of treating a cross bite, but i would recomend that you wait for the eruption of the first molars. These erupt at six to seven years old. They help determine the position of the rest of the permanent dentition. You can do it now, but it will probably will be less efective and you might have to do it again if these molars erupt in a crossbite pattern. orthodontist recomend an evaluation at seven years old, its at this time that treatment can be more effective because the fist molars have erupted. DMD.
He'll come out of this just fine. Kids do it every day. The palatal expander and the braces work great, especially when you catch the need for them at an early age, which you have. Believe me. He'll thank you later for doing this now. As a father of 2 myself, I'd do it in a second if it was necessary.Good luck
I share your concern, being a mother myself. Your son will be fine. My sister had her teeth readjusted at a young age and is wearing braces now. She's never really complained about pain. It's more an issue of discomfort if all goes well. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net